Search For a Topic

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Religion

I've seen numerous blogs of people that dedicate life to religion. I feel that life is about so much more than religion and that we should dedicate our lives to each other, not to just a belief in something that may or may not be real. This is a topic that cannot be proven true, nor false, no matter what anyone tells you. I do believe that we can apply some of our beliefs to everyday life however.

I'm an atheist and have been for a few years, but found myself in between religious affiliation and my disbelief for many years. But this isn't a blog about my story of becoming an atheist, it's simply the topic of religion itself. That being said, please continue to read along.

I figured this would be a good topic to discuss, seeing that many people believe Judgement day is just around the corner. They strongly believe that we'll all be judged on May 21st 2011 for our wrong doings or our good deeds. I don't know about you, but I feel this is a ridiculous assumption. Where's the fact for that? Even a Christian named Kenneth Lewis said it's not written anywhere in the bible he follows. Hopefully though, people will take this time to do a lot of good things for each other. My only fear is that when the said date passes, people will go back to their old habits of judging others based on things they can't control and continue to thrive on greed and inhumanity. I'm not sure if it's a specific religion itself that believes this is true, but I've been seeing it around the internet for a couple of weeks. If anyone knows where this roots, please discuss in the comments.

To my knowledge, all religions have this one thing in common, their belief that the religion they follow, is the only true religion, or that their god is the only true deity. Says who? Why can't there be more than one way of living?

We know that many wars in history have quite possibly been rooted due to the cause of religious disagreement. Religion has been around for many many era's, and possibly for longer than we know of. People have always disagreed and will always disagree on religion and many other topics. Sometimes this causes hatred, which can lead to war. I believe this is so, especially in the Middle East. Palestine and Israel will probably never agree on religion. For the wars we've seen with Israel, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't all of them fought in the name of religion?

How many human beings have been murdered in the name of Religion?

Buddhism - Human Sacrifice 1850's
India Thuggee Murders - Sacrifices in the name of religion
Mountain Meadows Massacre - Utah, Mormons and Indians murdering emigrants from Arkansas
Witch Hunts - Massachusetts, 1600's

Need I go on? This isn't even including the things that happen these days with killings due to homosexuality, in the name of religion. I don't know about you, but religion is sounding pretty messy to me already.

Many people have turned to atheism these days, realizing that many of the things religions throw at you just simply don't make sense. Let us not argue the subject of religion. Everyone has different beliefs or disbelief, and not one single person is correct in the matter. Aren't we suppose to be equals? Let us respect one another regardless of belief or disbelief in something. I can think of no reason to force beliefs or disbelief on other beings. Everybody is different, and different lifestyles work for different people. All any of us really wants is to be happy. With that being said, let us love each other, regardless of our differences.

I could continue on about all the things I feel are wrong with religion, but I think I'll leave that to the internet. Religion is not a topic I'd like to spend too much time on, seeing as most of the internet is talking about it these days.

If you'd really like to learn more about theism and atheism, search for them on youtube, and thanks for reading!

No comments: